Re: [Brian May] zsh random behaviour

On Jul 11, 11:32am, Brian May wrote:
}
} Is a return value of 255 treated specially by zsh?

A return value > 127 is interpreted as "killed by a signal" where the
signal number is the return value minus 127.  This is pretty standard
for shells, though not well-documented by any of them.

} I was about to start pulling my hair out, but I will let you pull your
} hair out instead <grin>.

See the "subtle 'echo' bug" thread from last month in the zsh-workers
archive, finishing with the patch in article 21391.