Re: Good, easy to use, upstream defaults for zsh (i.e. improving usability)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 08:23:06AM -0700, Travis Spencer wrote:

> If this goes forward and defaults are reworked, I vote for adding
> `unsetopt PROMPTCR' so output of programs that forget the new line
> character will still show their results as users seem to expect
> judging from the numerous times that questions about this come up.

Yeah, let's sacrifice features for the benefit of incompetent
programmers. Who needs multi-line editing?

And why stop there? Let's think about a few logical next steps.
How about getting rid of the distinction between stdout and stderr by
default, because sometimes "randomcommand --help | less" doesn't work?
Oh, and let's not forget about SH_WORD_SPLIT, that's should definitely
be on by default, it surprises too many people. And have you ever
noticed how intimidating the completion system is? I think something
less arcane like the one bash uses would allow a lot more people to
contribute.

--
Stephen Rüger
stephen.rueger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx