Re: various weirdnesses with unicode support

On 9/9/05, Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It seems to help a bit. If i press å (a with a ring), and then press a
> > a few times, zle still seems to be in a mostly normal state. But if i
> > press several å in a row i can't seem to get out.
>
> I've checked this in anyway, with some slight tweaks: the MB state is
> also reset if getrestchar() returns EOF, and I've added zle documentation
> indicating that $KEYTIMEOUT is applied to multibyte characters.
>
> I won't be much use with debugging this since I have currently no way
> of generating invalid characters.  X Windows is smart enough to convert
> between windows.  There may be some way of confusing it with the locale
> or character set.

You can try stuff like echo `echo åäö or other characters | iconv -f
UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-1`<tab>
It will just expand to an empty string in the command line, but the
completion listing does show the å (rxvt-unicode shows invalid
characters as latin-1 which is not really the right thing to do but
still more helpful than a box).
As for confusing zsh with keyboard input, just running a terminal in
some iso-8859 mode and running export LC_CTYPE=xx_XX.UTF-8 should be
enough to trigger the thing i talked about, since zsh then expects the
input to be UTF-8.

--
Mikael Magnusson