New 4.2 release

As well as producing a test release for 4.3.1, I'd like to release
4.2.6 early next week.  Let me know if there's anything that you think
needs merging into 4.2, such as completion functions (or do it yourself).

There aren't that many changes but some of them are significant.
I'm not aware of any new incompatibilities.