Bug with multios, substitutions and functions

There's a complicated form of multio which causes the shell to hang:

% echo This is the file >file
% fn() { cat; }
% fn <$(echo file file)
This is the file
This is the file

I didn't even know that was supposed to work until I accidentally
tried it out.  Most similar forms do seem to work work.

In this case, the shell hangs.  For some reason the multio process,
althought it's finished, isn't marked as finished in the shell's process
list.

No idea of the underlying problem, but as usual I suspect the hacks for
current shell pipelines in exec.c.