Re: Subshell with multios causes hang

On May 23, 11:12am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} So what I've done is:

This all sounds sane to me.

I also agree with John's child blocking tweak for the race condition.

} I don't think it's straightforward to set up the multios before we
} fork, since globbing is allowed in multios and that's done after
} forking.

I don't think it's workable to push this up a level in any case. You
can always construct an example where "up a level" is still a subshell
and the problem returns.  To try to have the topmost shell "lift" all
the globs and multios out of the subshells would introduce sequencing
problems with complex commands that expect to be able to create a file
and then glob its name or redirect from it.