Problem using some Japanese characters on Windows

Hi All,

I am a zsh user and using zsh-4.3.4 on a Japanese windows box.
I compiled it with multi-byte support enabled.

However, for some Japanese strings, it gives a "bad pattern" error.
Attached is a screen shot with an example.

After debugging a bit, I found that we have used some characters in the extended ascii range
for marking special characters like: Star(*), Quest(?) etc.

However these seem to clash with the CP932 character set which is the default on Windows
CP932 defines characters in the extended Ascii character range and beyond. (> 0x81)

Please see:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/dbcs/932.mspx

Please do let me know if this is a valid bug and if so, how can we get around it?

Thanks,
Rajesh