Re: Fw: Phil's prompt is not working when LANG is set to UTF-8

This One Time, at Band Camp, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxxx> said, On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:56:25AM +0300:
> On Saturday 16 February 2008, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > How about the following tweak to prompts to support this?  The upshot is
> > that you include any funny characters in %{...%G%} where the %G for
> > `glitch' (which may be repeated or take a numeric argument) indicates a
> > screen cell taken up by the sequence.

> Yes, I was about to try the same today morning (you have to sleep on it);
> but I likely would not end up with such elegant solution.

> > I like this because it uses
> > facilities that have been present in the shell for a long time and hence
> > was trivial to implement and might work.

> > I played with this in simple cases, but would anybody like to confirm
> > this works in the cases that matter (and maybe produce an updated Phil's
> > Prompt)?

> I confirm that this works and updated prompt is attached. Wael, does it work
> for you with this patch applied?

> Now downside of course is, it works only with patched shell ...

> > To put it another way:  I am happy to support this fix but
> > have no interest in doing anything with it myself.

> > I think this is clean and useful enough that I will commit it anyway.

OMG it finally works... Thank you so much guys, thanks a lot Peter...

BTW don't Cc to me anymore, I've switched my subscription from
-users to -workers

Thanks again... I use it daily so if anything's wrong I'll notify
you...

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.