Re: printf %s in UTF-8 is not POSIX-compliant

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 02:39:50 +0100
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-03-05 10:41:48 +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > In particular, "emulate sh" is the nearest we have to bash emulation
> > and bash users are likely to expect multibyte characters to work
> > naturally.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "naturally", but zsh currently behaves
> differently from bash in sh emulation:

MULTIBYTE has lots of different effects.  The point is we either decide to
turn it on or off; I don't see any point in a special option for this one
very minor case.  zsh is never going to be completely compatible with every
advanced feature of bash, anyway.  So MULTIBYTE almost certainly needs to
be on in that case, but off for POSIX emulation.

> Perhaps it should have the same differences as bash with and without
> POSIX mode.

I think tracking every possible difference in "sh" and "bash" emulations,
even if they were made separate, would be going way too far.  However, if
we had several dozen more people working on the shell, one of them might
have time to look at it.