Re: PATCH: random attribute stuff

On May 6, 10:15am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} I'm not completely convinced of the utility of this chunk of code.  It
} seems to be designed so that after a right prompt is output everything
} is the same as after the normal prompt.

I think that would be correct, because the rprompt is printed last and
then the cursor is merely moved to the end of the normal prompt.

} But both before and after this patch if I let the right prompt leave,
} say, underline turned on then when I play with history lines the main
} line appears underlined, too. I don't think it's ever been a good idea
} to leave effects turned on after prompts.

Some people want the entire command line to look one way and the output
from the command to look another way, so they can easily tell what's a
command and what isn't when scrolling backward through buffered output.
Leaving effects turned on after the prompt is the only way to do that;
at some point it was decided that it was better to have the prompt help
out with it, than to force people to trick the shell into outputting a
terminal control sequence without using the prompt escapes.