Re: environment settings

On 2008-06-17 14:26:11 +0100, Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> So, you have a script that expects a $PATH that is different
> from the system's $PATH,

No. Please read again.

> and your solution is to update the ~/.zshenv for every user that is
> meant to run that script, and by doing so, possibly affecting the
> behavior of all the other zsh scripts that those users may run?

That's completely silly: each user controls his own ~/.zshenv.

> It seems to me that the /right thing/ would be to update the
> script

No, the script can come from a tarball or whatever.

> (or write a wrapper that sets $PATH if it's a binary file
> instead of a script),

For a global config, this can be annoying.

> or update the system's $PATH. But you can always put it in ~/.zshenv
> if you can't be bothered or if you don't have the right to update
> the system's $PATH.

Put what in ~/.zshenv? The additional bin directories (e.g. $HOME/bin)?
This is what I've said.

> Moreover, if you do
>
> path+=(/some/path)
> in ~/.zshenv, you'll soon end up with /some/path dupplicated.

No:

# Path clean-up
path=($^path(N))

(But a duplicated path isn't fatal.)