Re: non-interactive set -m

Bart Schaefer <schaefer <at> brasslantern.com> writes:

> } > Note that in pdksh the job in the subshell is added to the table of
> } > jobs inherited from the parent shell (testing with pdksh 5.2.14).
> }
> } Yuk.  So you've got a real job you can manipulate, and one phantom job
> } from the parent shell you can't and which is presumably fixed like that
> } for eternity.
>
> No, actually, you have two jobs neither of which you can manipulate.
> PDKSH doesn't do job control in subshells.  It turns off -m when the
> subshell starts, and silently ignores it if you manually turn it back
> on again.

My opinion is that pdksh is somewhat buggy when it comes to job handling, and
that you are better off trying to emulate David Korn's ksh93 than the buggy
pdksh; other better examples are dash and bash.  I already quoted the parts of
POSIX that mention that subshells inherit the same options as the parent (so the
pdksh behavior of silently disabling -m in a subshell violates that rule).

--
Eric Blake