Re: !!$ unitialized at first prompt

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Peter Stephenson wrote:

The shell doesn't split words in the same way when importing history. In normal operation it relies on the lines having been passed through the lexical analyser to generate the words, which doesn't happen when history is read from a file. Instead it just blindly splits on whitespace.

Interesting.

I'm surprised it splits the history when it's read in. (I would've expected it to read in whole command lines and only split into words when necessary.)

But, glad there's a simple explanation.

--
Thanks,
Ben