Re: filename completion with umlauts (again)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 16:48:14 -0800
> Would it even be sufficient to metafy around the match_str() entry
> point, or is the real problem that the *entire* completion system
> needs to stop treating the input line as a (char *)?
>
> In which case we almost may as well start over from scratch.

I think it is actually relatively localised, unfortunately still quite a
lot of hard-to-understand code.  Most of the completion system uses
proper metafied strings and counts characters approprlately.  It's only
when we get to the matching stage and inserting the result into the
command line that the boundaries blur a bit.  I think apart from quite a
lot of compmatch.c, chunks of compresult.c, and a few bits elsewhere, it
doesn't actually need changing much.  However, one of the problems is
deciding quite where the boundaries are.  A start could probably be made
by introducing appropriate types so that we know where a char * is being
treated as an array of individual characters rather than a generic,
possibly multibyte, string --- I forget this every time I stop looking at it.