Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Bug with sh emulation; shouldn't KSH_TYPESET be set?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 30162
- From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Bug with sh emulation; shouldn't KSH_TYPESET be set?
- Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:46:46 +0200
- Authentication-results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx designates 10.112.25.106 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx; dkim=pass header.i=felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx
- Cc: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=4LAyBDCoGFg1eClXfvvbPNjwmZBqsiweTiM+HMPCGtM=; b=f1zUvqlPisO1YXzc0CEZlR7V0PtVUJKdk25uyjuipcbd8vicSLs25gex0nprEJwM+n t4YRc5jWv7L/EqvO3qyGOGLAVyaXrRUufak58Bob7zWV+M/f0X1dnrnSyGErVdXx7GW3 1LZtJ+t7a/5Qqpau1rkQ0RjmTGuVKSqqiVHjY=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CAMP44s1NhJXsT48qCHrpLGW2def_YcL1mXNWqu+ZD=oSBNFg4A@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> local t=$(echo foo --bar)
>> But not in zsh, with sh emulation. Enabling KSH_TYPESET makes it work.
>> Shouldn't it be enabled with sh emulation?
>> BTW. What exactly is 'emulate sh' supposed to emulate? I would like to
>> run that shell to check for compatibility issues, and apparently it's
>> not bash.
> "emulate sh" is POSIX shell emulation (we did amend this mode in the
> past to work as much as possible as POSIX describes). Neither typeset
> nor local are part of POSIX (at least not SUSv3 - I don't know about
> So, I don't think it should be enabled.
But it wouldn't hurt either, right? It would be nice to have some
'bash' emulation mode, but since there isn't any, why not enable this
> FWIW, dash and posh behave like zsh's sh-mode here. Ksh93 doesn't work
> at all, because it has no `local' (only typeset). Mksh, pdksh and bash
> work like KSH_TYPESET was set in zsh.
Hmm, I see, but there's no bash emulation mode =/
I guess it's time to compare the differences between ksh and sh
emulation to see which is closer.
Messages sorted by: