Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: vcs_info on a hg repository with a git subrepository; actionformats works ok, formats does not
- X-seq: zsh-workers 30674
- From: Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Seth House <seth@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: vcs_info on a hg repository with a git subrepository; actionformats works ok, formats does not
- Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:28:41 +0200
- Cc: Ioannis Koutras <ioannis.koutras@xxxxxxxxx>, zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <CABsXarGXg_m1i4tjPbUS5Fz+_BOGqbKKoG5-wKF01rOKgsKvhA@mail.gmail.com> (Seth House's message of "Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:53:29 -0700")
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CAPeCK2MsfJJxq0v1_eKA1uo9aJ1Mn-8+B-_YAPit-V_A4MFY6A@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAPeCK2MRukgGxx=nGhRs8oPMz=zPfj+XDcmf4Vaz+YJ+JZUEXw@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAPeCK2PwM=GNAhxqmn-bMiDfKhpXJpOGgCqs05KJvMg1RsqkNg@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CABsXarH6MMNEsnUG=8O-VirH6biFKR9gMKQ7RcNgtKmQVw_Ltg@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CABsXarF5CM=CjhrrCsPBdY0es2SpY=dQC2116grsq4rYDPsEfirstname.lastname@example.org> <CABsXarGXg_m1i4tjPbUS5Fz+_BOGqbKKoG5-wKF01rOKgsKvhA@mail.gmail.com>
[moving thread to -workers]
Seth House wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Seth House <seth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The --debug flag is used to get hg to output the full sha.
> Relying on --debug here is not ideal. Something like this was bound to
> happen eventually. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to
> retrieve all info of interest to VCS_Info with a single call to
> Mercurial. (Invoking the Python interpreter is too slow to do more
> than once while drawing the shell prompt.)
> I have done quite a bit of experimenting, searching, and asking on
> I propose one of the following:
> 1) Alter the hg backend to work without the full 40-char hash.
> The ``hg id`` command will always return a unique hash. The only thing
> the full hash is being used for in the hg backend is comparisons with
> MQ patches and that can be changed to be a left-match instead. We can
> document why the full hash isn't available and if users are expecting
> 40-chars we can give an example of how to pad the value with spaces.
> This changes existing behavior.
> 2) Continue using --debug and add a workaround for this issue.
> It's plausible that the output of interest will always appear at the
> bottom of the debug output. Mercurial does have a
> backward-compatibility policy for its output formats but this does not
> extend to debug output (obviously).
> FWIW, my personal preference is the first option as I feel the 40-char
> hash is rarely desired or useful in a shell prompt.
Hm. Ideally, I'd like there to be the least possible impact on existing
setups. But then and again having `--debug' in there was always
bothering me a little. I'm undecided.
I know, however, that I don't want to introduce another style again to
make this optional.
I'll think about it until tomorrow. If a user of the hg backend has a
strong opinion on this, speak up.
In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is
nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- RFC 1925
Messages sorted by: