Re: Access to CVS

On Dec 4, 10:14pm, Phil Pennock wrote:
} Subject: Re: Access to CVS
}
} On 2012-12-05 at 01:33 +0100, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
} > Associating commits to mailing list numbers. This amounts to using git
} > notes (see workers/30123) so probably just needs a clear convention.
} > Perhaps we could use a hook script to enforce it on the master
} > repository.
}
} Biggest problem is if the change in the mail doesn't exactly match the
} files being patched, in which case there's not identifying information
} in the mail to figure out the commit.  If the person grabbing the patch
} uses "git note" manually, or as a filter to grab X-Seq, then it works.

I'm not sure this is necessary?  We currently rely on people to manually
insert the X-Seq into their commit logs.  Attempting to automatically
extract it from the list archives sounds like a complete nightmare.

Further we sometimes reference X-Seq numbers of messages that don't have
a patch at all, just to connect a change to a background discussion.