Re: The completion for infocmp won't work in Debian

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 04:07:27PM +0900, Morita Sho wrote:
> I noticed that the completion for infocmp won't work in Debian.
>
>   % infocmp [TAB]
>
> will not complete any terminfo that is available in the system.

Depending on the installed packages, this is indeed the case.

> In Debian, terminfo files are placed on /lib/terminfo and /etc/terminfo.[1]
[...]
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/ncurses-base/filelist

That's not completely true. Debian places terminfo files only in
/lib/terminfo and /usr/share/terminfo. The only file in /etc/terminfo
shipped by Debian is a README file.

/lib/terminfo contains only the most important terminfo descriptions
and is installed by default. /usr/share/terminfo is only filled if you
also install additional terminfo descriptions from the ncurses-term[2]
package -- which I do on all my systems, hence it worked for me. :-)

[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/ncurses-term/filelist

/etc/terminfo is for system-local terminfo descriptions and to be used
by the local admin, not Debian. See /etc/terminfo/README.

But Morita is right in the sense that Debian by default only ships
terminfo descriptions in /lib/terminfo and that it also looks for them
in /etc/terminfo.

Actually this has already been reported against Debian's zsh package
as http://bugs.debian.org/600151 a while ago, but we seem to have
missed it as "to be reported to upstream". Thanks for bringing this
to my attention again!

> Could you add /lib/terminfo and /etc/terminfo to the search path for infocmp completion?
[...]
> -desc=( $TERMINFO ~/.terminfo $TERMINFO_DIRS /usr/{,share/}{,lib/}terminfo )
> +desc=( $TERMINFO ~/.terminfo $TERMINFO_DIRS /usr/{,share/}{,lib/}terminfo /{etc,lib}/terminfo )

I'd be happy about this patch being applied to zsh in general. (BTW: I
expect that the order of the directories is not relevant here.)

	Kind regards, Axel (with his Debian Zsh Team hat on :-)
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)