bug with sed and escaping?

Hello,

this is my first report, so I hope I can provide enough information. Also I'm somewhat of a beginner with zsh... Here's the thing:

As far as I've found out the zsh should not behave differently than the bash if I execute bash scripts. Here's a minimal example of what it does on my system.

Bash:
$ echo "xy" | sed -e s/^x//

The result is the string "y" as the sed command removes the initial x.

Zsh:
$ echo "xy" | sed -e s/^x//
zsh: no matches found: s/^x//

So this gives me an error. Zsh wants me to escape the caret (^) or I could wrap s/^x// in quotation marks. Either of those commands work

$ echo "xy" | sed -e "s/^x//"
$ echo "xy" | sed -e s/\^x//

If it were my script that I have to execute there, I'd change it to work properly. But this script is actually part of a large compiler package and it irks me that the zsh throws an exception while trying to execute some bash scripts in there. And I wouldn't want to "repair" scripts that actually should work.

Am I doing something wrong, here?

I tried this on multiple machines. Maybe I messed up some configuration, but I don't know where and why. If you need further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Dino