Re: Out-of-date mirror on GitHub

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> I think it's nice for every project to have an up-to-date mirror on
> GitHub, so contributors can maintain a fork and regularly send patches
> upstream (via email in this case). [...]

I always thought that the nice thing about decentralised systems like
git was that they allowed contributors to keep forks even without a
central place like github. Github is only useful if you want visibility
for your changes and even then you can just publish a repo with your own
account. On github, bitbucket or $yourserviceproviderhere, it doesn't
matter. I actually think having more than one canonical source (and one
that might be out of date as we can see) would actually hurt.

Personally, I do have a mirror of the code repository on my account. But
I don't want to see push requests or forks or any of that. I won't
promise, that it's up-to-date. I won't even promise, that it's there
tomorrow... I only use it to, from time to time, show someone something
I've worked on.

Since any real changes have to go through the mailing lists to pick up
better off working on a clone (which already _is_ a fork) of the
canonical zsh code repository at sourceforge, and using git's excellent
mail-workflow related tools (like "git format-patch", "git send-email"
and "git am").

Regards, Frank

¹ If you wonder what those are, you might want to take a look at the
  README of https://github.com/ft/zsh-am, which explains zsh's
  traditional development style and a way to cope with it with the
  minimal amount of pain from an integrator's point of view.