Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Bug report
- X-seq: zsh-workers 32112
- From: Patrick Oscity <patrick.oscity@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Bug report
- Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 02:08:54 +0100
- Cc: "zsh-workers@xxxxxxx" <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=references:mime-version:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:cc:from:subject:date:to; bh=UCdzpVwAA/QQEal7UqSdjdB3DFlE8xv+xddR2lEof6g=; b=Nckn/wyTBKYhpb3baND1L4aAMqlvsFGQJcW8iDgf9qLYmx+k9GRGCaAORHCD3q6bVw VbrPAkG+wQZNcgWxlRoOTB7ZYVA/UtINIQFe1jqijsUbBKYTpa7g6WV8/5ahDu3BRe+F yFegOuIaWz6eWO4pkiP2unFrQO789NWB6paEm/GsLj4w7OPt/aE1c8VV8sEEzbnPHKwh vQDVGWaBNiTxvcA8bUsDDMxxA61h5E8JkZ9WI3VeuWEiwhuQGbDX0CsYlmk4qMwcSL++ /mOMeSG+MpURr29jt4mqGu4uPmad+9kx01RoC8dHX0yuwn90NDIcfzsi7rCqLUXCGzXK dGcQ==
- In-reply-to: <131214110830.ZM18442@torch.brasslantern.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <9CB4226B-47EE-44FA-8F8F-01DF4CB5154D@gmail.com> <131214110830.ZM18442@torch.brasslantern.com>
I have seen the much improved patch by Peter Stephenson and find it to be the perfect solution. Thank you guys for the quick reaction and your detailed explanations. You rock!
> On 14.12.2013, at 20:08, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 7:44pm, Patrick Oscity wrote:
> } * the right prompt is not right aligned, it is in fact shifted to the
> } left by one character
> This is intentional, because a particular kind of terminal device that
> was very widespread a few years ago had a misfeature wherein printing to
> the lower right corner character position scrolls the screen up a line.
> Terminal types that have this behavior are not readily identifiable from
> terminfo descriptions, and the extra space along the right side was
> deemed less annoying than an entire extra line across the bottom (and
> corresponding loss of whatever was in the line that scrolled off the
> Worse, there was another common terminal where filling the bottom line
> of the screen and then writing a trailing newline would NOT scroll the
> display, resulting in e.g. blank lines disappearing from output.
> Much easier than attempting to detect different combinations of this was
> to always be sure that the only thing ever written in the lower right
> corner *is* a newline, and only when scrolling is wanted.
> Given the number of other prompt-specific setopts we have at this point,
> we could potentially add another one to control this, but I think the
> default behavior should remain as it is.
Messages sorted by: