Re: Simulating ZLE_RPROMPT_INDENT=0

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:43:53 -0800
> } > In the event that the terminal has no non-destructive move-left sequence,
> } > should assigning ZLE_RPROMPT_INDENT=0 print a warning?  Should it also
> } > (or instead) ignore the value and revert to 1 in that case?
> }
> } Would make more to have another more programmatically useful way of
> } testing this if we need to, e.g. with echotc or echoti.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean e.g. to just document
> how a shell script would perform the test?

No, I mean have a builtin with an explicit test that tells the user if
the terminal supports the feature or not.  Then changing the terminal
and deciding whether to set a zero right-prompt indent can be done
entirely in shell code.

TERM=mymmodernpowerfulterminalemulator
if builtin-decides-the-terminal-supports-non-destructive-move-left
  ZLE_RPROMPT_INDENT=0
else
  ZLE_RPROMPT_INDENT=1
fi

Is anything likely to happen before I release 5.0.4?  I was planning to
produce it imminently, but maybe we don't want to disappoint the punters
with a half implemented feature.