Something rotten in tar completion

I've been seeing this for some time and haven't had a chance to look any
further, given which it's high time I reported it in any case in the
unlikely event someone's got some spare time.

If I try to complete after "tar xvzf ...", which is where I usually am
completing (I don't tend to bother completing inside tar files), it's
*incredibly* slow.  I suspect it's looking in the file, which it doesn't
need to at this point --- it's only completing the name of the file.
(It doesn't even know what file I'm using yet, in fact.)

Note this is a bog standard local disk.

What's even worse is I can't abort.  If I ^C it simply says "Killed after
41 seconds" but doesn't stop; if I do it repeatedly the time taken
increments but that's all.

It does finish eventually after a few minutes and give the right answer
it should have given in a small fraction of a second.  As far as I can
see there's no remaining sign I tried to abort it.

Haven't looked at whether my options and styles come into it, but will
if nobody else is seeing this (it's pretty darned obvious).

This is with the latest version, in case you hadn't guessed.

pws