Zpython inclusion

02.02.2015, 20:34, "Peter Stephenson" <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 08:18:29 +0300
> ZyX <kp-pav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  if you want to consider merging https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/zpython I
>>  can convert it back to a patch it used to be once. I introduced it to
>>  a list, but it did not get much attention.
>
> It's clearly a useful addition but I think it would be better to keep it
> out of the main source to avoid making that depend (even optionally) on
> Python; this is potentially complex for people who don't need it and
> subject to change in ways not necessarily tied to changes in zsh, and we
> have enough maintenance headaches in the main code that it's nice to
> have something that actually does work as an add-on :-)

The big problem with zpython is that nobody is actually providing the necessary headers. I only saw [zsh-dev][1] package in debian-based distribution, but I failed to find any deb-src package which depends on it. The issue with this package is that it installs copied zsh headers, but `zsh.h` is quite useless without defines from `config.h`; I wanted to see how they cope with the problem.

I can live with a custom zsh ebuild. I can probably push changes to the Gentoo upstream (have not actually tried, but I guess I need to). But I can’t fix all the other distributions. Currently zpython provides an option to build itself using zsh built in its own repository which should be convenient enough for packaging (in any case zsh needs to be built first) in binary distributions, but not for users willing to compile it themselves (no usable headers out there) or source-based distributions.

Using separate repository just for zpython was chosen because I neither like constant rebasing nor constant merging with upstream; I used to perform the former prior to that.

[1]: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=zsh-dev&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all