Re: Aliasing separators (Re: grammar triviality with '&&')

On Mar 6,  9:40am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Aliasing separators (Re: grammar triviality with '&&')
}
} OK, to state my basic position (though it's kind of moot --- as I said I
} don't think anybody really needs the change)  1. tokenisation is part of
} lexing  2. alias expansion comes between lexing and parsing  3. any
} result of lexing is game for alias expansion, unless you make stricter
} rules than zsh already has.  But this discussion isn't really going
} anywhere.

Understood, but (prior to 34641) zsh *did* have stricter rules, and (in
terms of the lexer, not in terms of explaining to end users) the rule
was very simple:  only STRING tokens are subject to alias expansion.

In practice that means something like "only tokens that can be changed
by concatenating with another string using simple lexical pasting, may
be aliased."  But that isn't a very satisfying way to say it (and it's
not 100% true because of "{" being a reserved word).

As an aside, using zshlextext isn't really correct either if the real
intention is to allow aliasing of tokens.  Did you plan to allow the
aliasing of the NEWLIN token?  Because with 34641,

    alias $'\n'=...

does not work, but

    alias '\n'=...

actually does create an alias for hitting enter at a blank PS1 prompt.
The point being that for non-STRING tokens, zshlextext doesn't always
represent the actual input string.

The other minor point is that this slows down lexical analysis a lot.
Many more things are going through checkalias(), including in some
cases (as you pointed out) every individual character.

Finally it seems wrong that "setopt POSIXALIASES" disallows aliasing of
reserved words but (with 34641) still allows aliasing of other special
tokens.

} On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:42:40 -0800