Using zsh as a base for Network device CLI

Hi,

One of my current tasks is to move our device CLI to a standard shell, to
exploit job control, piping and the rest of the good features. I have
decided to use zsh for this purpose, as it seems to be the most extensive
one, functionally.

The main challenges in this is to
1. change the initial builtins to the commands that the device understands
and
2. update completion to use the command syntax of the device.

There is a bit of existing C code that parses the command syntax grammer
that I would like to leverage.

I had 2 questions regarding this:

1. Has something similar been attempted by anybody in this group?
2. What should be my initial design path, so that the solution fits in with
zsh philosophy?

Thanks
Vinod