Re: PATCH: muddled completion search status

Bart wrote:
> Unless I misunderstand you, repeating a search in emacs searches again
> for the last-searched-for string no matter which direction the new
> search is going.  The same is true for vi's "n" or "N" command for
> searching again up/downward.  Why do you think it's wrong to restore
> the last search string?  I would prefer not to break similarity (I won't
> go so far as to say "compatibility") with emacs in this regard.
>
> So maybe I'm just not following what you mean.

This is not the reuse of the current search string which is what you
describe but a feature where an older, previous search string from a
past search gets reinstated:

% echo one
% echo two
% ^Recho^J
% echo three
% ^R^R
bck-i-search: echo_

When the current search string is empty, invoking either of
history-incremental-search-for/back-ward will reinstate an older search.
With my change, a direction change suppresses this.

Oliver