Re: PATCH v2 (complete): Implement zle -P

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:50:27 +0200
Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> > Indeed, I'm not sure if a user can figure out which widgets are useful
> > to override in this way.  Would it be more useful to just do what Wayne
> > did originally and let zle -N take some flags that specify which specific
> > flags the new widget should have after all? The advantage of this method
> > is that if we add more flags, users can wrap those widgets without us
> > remembering to add a new zle -N flag as well.
>
> I think that approach is better than the prototypes.

I'd be inclined to think this is both clearer and more powerful, too.

I think originally there was resistance to this on the basis that the
flags were a hack we shouldn't really have at all, let alone expose.
However, it's now obvious they're needed, and documenting them would
probably be a good thing anyway.  So exposing them for use becomes a
natural extension of that.

pws