Re: bracket-paste-magic adds backslashes inside a quoted string if URL is pasted ("regression" compared to pre-5.1 url-quote-magic)

On 2016-05-09 08:41:43 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On May 9,  4:13pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> } Subject: Re: bracket-paste-magic adds backslashes inside a quoted string i
> }
> } On 2016-05-08 11:50:26 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } > You want
> } >
> } >     zstyle :bracketed-paste-magic paste-init backward-extend-paste
> } >
> } > so that the quote marks that are already on the line are treated as
> } > part of the pasted text.
> }
> } Shouldn't this be the default behavior?
>
> We had quite a bit of discussion on related topics when bracketed-paste
> was added.  The general idea is that a paste is treated as a unit, and
> the default behavior of bracketed-paste-magic is to restrict its action
> to remain "inside" that unit.

I'm not sure what you call "unit", but IMHO, the notion of unit
should be different from the notion of argument. For instance,
I would agree that a URL could be regarded as a unit, and after

  echo "The URL is:

it makes sense to paste a URL. So, the context should matter.

> backward-extend-paste is appropriate when bracketed-paste-magic combines
> with url-quote-magic, but not necessarily so in other cases.  paste-init
> (and paste-finish) can be used for this kind of thing generically; the
> backward-extend action is included by default, but has to be turned on.

Or perhaps there should be a function that does all the work for
URL handling, e.g. currently

  autoload -Uz url-quote-magic
  zle -N self-insert url-quote-magic
  autoload -Uz bracketed-paste-magic
  zle -N bracketed-paste bracketed-paste-magic
  zstyle :bracketed-paste-magic paste-init backward-extend-paste

in case there would be future changes.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>