Opening vim causes lockout

I have an open stack exchange on this issue:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/931965/vim-takes-me-to-lockout-screen-zsh-error-possibly-x

My Problem:
When I type `vim` I get taken to my lockout screen. This happens without
fail. When I log back in I have my file open. I also randomly logout, but
this has only happened twice in the last hour.

I think this is connected to zsh because if I switch to bash I do not have
this problem.I am using antigen and oh-my-zsh but I moved my zshrc file and
opened a blank session and still have the problem. `which zsh` points to
`/usr/bin/zsh`.

When being locked out my screens display "no signal" for a second.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:    16.04
Codename:   xenial