Re: PATCH: fg and bg tests

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:16:34 -0700

> (Regular work hours for me here now so promptness and length of reply
> are limited.)
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Peter Stephenson
> >
> > dc is even less verbose [...]  So let's try that.
>
> For what it's worth, "ed" on MacOS seems to be prompting with a "?"
> after every command.  Your first though about ignoring everything
> until the final result would probably have worked.

Hmm... the non-MacOS ed documentation seem fairly clear that prompting
is off by default and when it's on it's a "*" (unless there's an error).

Anyway, ignoring output turned out to be harder than expected ---
finding a consistent point in the code that didn't give blank
lines (that I couldn't necessarily rely on being present) wasn't that
easy. I'd probably have needed to edit the output to compare only
relevant lines.

With a bit of luck, dc is easier to manage all round.

pws