Re: MACHINES, FEATURES, etc.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 09:34:55 +0100
Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> MACHINES is never going to be complete, because we're relying on
> reports of problems from the field, but it is intended to be accurate
> and useful, which it isn't at the moment.  It could probably be
> truncated to a note saying it's a placeholder for reports of issues
> in installation that need to be worked around --- which do get
> reported now and then --- and a request for updates.

Here's a possible short version --- I've included the entire file.
It's largely to encourage people to report problems they find
(though usually configuration problems we find out about tend
to get fixed).  I'm assuming the OS-specific information that was there
is too ancient to be of any use.

I deleted a paragraph about upgrading gcc with the OS as it's irrelevant
if gcc comes with the distribution and the days of needing to install
gcc separately are largely numbered.  I also changed the set of machines
I think are "reasonably well covered" nowadays.

pws

-----------------------------
ZSH ON SPECIFIC ARCHITECTURES
-----------------------------

This file is to record difficulties in compiling and installing zsh on
specific architectures.

The information in this list may be out of date, as the developers do
not have access to all machines.  In general, GNU/Linux distributions
and BSD derivatives including MacOS are reasonably well covered.

At the time of writing zsh is believed to comiple on all up-to-date
Unix-like operating systems.  Please let us know of any exceptions.

The intended format of entries is thus:

	Vendor: OS & version (hardware type) [zsh version tried]
		information