Re: Official plugin manager?

On Thu, 2020-01-02 at 21:26 -0600, dana wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2020, at 20:45, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It has been our long-standing practice to recommend that package
> > builders/installers do NOT create /etc/z* files, or make them minimal,
> > so as not to interfere with users own initialization files.  Maybe
> > it's time to relax that, or at least to provide a suggested skeleton
> > .zshrc -- which we could connect to zsh-newuser-install to be slurped
> > in without having to go through all the questions if you just want to
> > "feel lucky".
> The latter is what i'm suggesting, yeah. Dumb down the wizard a bit, add a
> flashy option to the first screen that says 'do the cool things (recommended)'
> or whatever, and have it install a well-commented .zshrc with the settings
> that that a novice/casual user would look for.

I tend to agree with the thrust of this --- feedback over the years has
been quite strongly people don't want to do anything clever; the difficulty
remaining is what sort of basic set up to copy in instead.  But yes,
whatever that is it should probably be something prepared elsewhere and
copying in that should probably be the highlighted / default option.

pws