Re: typeset -<non-ASCII> (Was: metafication in error messages)

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 12:29 AM Stephane Chazelas
<stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By the way, while looking at other culprits for missing
> metafication in calls to zerr*, I found (in UTF-8 locale):
>
> $ typeset -é
> typeset: bad option: -^

I did warn that any such effort was going to be whack-a-mole.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 12:35 AM Stephane Chazelas
<stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> $ zsh -c $'typeset -\x83'
> zsh:typeset:1: bad option: -\M-C
>
> is also incorrect, \M-C is 0xc3. 0x83 is \M-^C.

IMO this is GIGO -- we have not and likely never will have non-ascii
option letters, so detecting multibyte characters and pretty-printing
them on error is a waste of effort.