Re: HIST_IGNORE_DUPS also ignores command lines that differ by a space between quotes

in hist.c:
    if ((isset(HISTIGNOREDUPS) || isset(HISTIGNOREALLDUPS)) && save > 0
     && hist_ring && histstrcmp(chline, hist_ring->node.nam) == 0) {
        /* This history entry compares the same as the previous.
         * In case minor changes were made, we overwrite the
         * previous one with the current one.  This also gets the
         * timestamp right.  Perhaps, preserve the HIST_OLD flag.
         */
        he = hist_ring;
        newflags |= he->node.flags & HIST_OLD; /* Avoid re-saving */
        freehistdata(he, 0);
        curline.histnum = curhist;

and in hashtable.c (weird place for it):
/* Compare two strings with normalized white-space */

/**/
int
histstrcmp(const char *str1, const char *str2)
{
    while (inblank(*str1)) str1++;
    while (inblank(*str2)) str2++;
    while (*str1 && *str2) {
    if (inblank(*str1)) {
        if (!inblank(*str2))
        break;
        do str1++; while (inblank(*str1));
        do str2++; while (inblank(*str2));
    }
    else {
        if (*str1 != *str2)
        break;
        str1++;
        str2++;
    return *str1 - *str2;
}

seems you could simply replace histstrcmp with strcmp and be happy.

--
Mikael Magnusson