Re: ANSI C standard of zsh

On 3/13/2024 11:49, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 2:44 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I propose that we update the development guide to remove the bit about the 1989 standard (much less K&R compatibility) since it is no longer true, and I personally question if it even makes sense as a goal 30+ years in to development.
No objections from me. Replacement wording would be welcome. We're using
string pasting (##) in quite a few places despite that being "not
available".

Here is my first cut at replacement wording for the first two paragraphs of the C coding style section:

The primary language is standard C and modern versions of Zsh assume at least the 1999 standard is available.  While much of the code is written to be compatible with older C standards, it has been decided that maintaining compatibility with those standards has become too limiting and is not necessary for even legacy (though not necessarily vintage) systems.

If you wish to use features not present in the ANSI C 99 standard, there are preprocessor macros to provide safe access to some of these.  Always use the macros if you want to use these facilities.