Re: Terminal problem with linux-2.0.34

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 09:46:36AM -0800, you [Bart Schaefer] claimed:
> On Feb 14,  3:50pm, Ville Herva wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Terminal problem with linux-2.0.34
> }
> } I'm afraid I do not have access to the console as the machine the bug
> } appears on is a server residing elsewhere.
>
> OK, that's useful information.
>
> Do you log in to the compute server and run xterm there with the display
> pointing back to your local X server, or do you start your xterm on the
> local machine and then rlogin?

If I use xterm or rxvt, I do so using the ssh's X forwarding capability
(ssh creates a proxy server on the server side and forwards the connection
through a crypted channel to the client's X server.)

I have also logged in with ssh from a xterm running on the client side.

Using any of these method, the problem appear similarly.

> Are you always using ssh?

For security reasons, that is the only way to connect the server.

> If you start several login sessions at a time, does it affect all of them?

Yes.

> } > What happens if you "unsetopt zle" or run zsh as "zsh +Z"?
> }
> } Everything works as expected, the problem does not appear.
>
> OK, then it's most likely an stty problem of some kind.  What happens if
> you first start "zsh +Z" and then do "setopt zle"?

The problem appears as before.

> } > If running X11, have you completely shut down and restarted the server?
> }
> } No. This is something I just can't do since it is a production server.
>
> I meant the X server process, not the compute server machine, but if you're

My mistake, that's clear when you read that sentence more carefully.

> only doing remote login and from several different places, the question
> doesn't apply.

I guess so.

> You are able to install a new zsh on the compute server, though?  So you
> have some adminstrator privileges for it?  If not, by what method are you
> starting zsh when you log in?

I have administrative privileges, and I've tried starting zsh straight
from /bin/zsh as part of the login process. I also tried executing the
newly compiled binary straight from the temporary directory.

I would also like to add that I tried removing my .zshrc, but the problem
still persisted. (I use the exact same .zshrc elsewhere, so I did not
imagine that to be the problem.)

> Incidentally, are any other users having the same problem with zsh?

That's what I would like to know, too...

--
Ville Herva       Ville.Herva@xxxxxxxxxx   +358-50-5164500
Netspan Oy        netspan@xxxxxxxxxx       PL 65  FIN-02151 Espoo