Re: Terminal problem with linux-2.0.34

This is amazing. I never thought anyone else would actually be having
this problem. I also have a machine running 2.0.34, and it has a lot
of uptime. You describe it perfectly, but I have additional
symptoms:

- Any time the user runs a program that makes a stat() call, the
shell hangs forever, until the user breaks out of it. Even after sending
the process, say ls -l, a signal, it takes awhile to get the shell prompt
back.

At first, this problem would go away simply by running another zsh
and thus incrementing SHLVL. Another solution was to ssh in, run an xterm
that then ran zsh - this put me one shell level deeper as well, which
fixed the problem.

However, after a fwew more months of uptime, the bug would KICK ME OFF the
system when I tried to log in. I ssh'ed in and ran an xterm, which
spawned zsh. So now, I was a shell level deeper, which USED to fix
the problem. Instead, it exhibited the behavior that we described above -
no echoing of characters, hitting return twice (honestly, it sounds like
a lag behind by a certain # of keystrokes problem), etc. etc.

Once the behaviort got the state describe in the last paragraph, zsh
would also unexpectedly seg fault when running certain processes.
(I could not correlate a pattern as to which ones bailed and which ones
didn't)

My guess is that it's either zsh or something with Linux.  To those of
you who have not seen this problem, it is NASTY. It makes interactive
sessions nearly impossible.

- Larry