Re: Tksh and dtksh replacements for Zsh-users?

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Jul 22,  3:07pm, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> } Subject: Tksh and dtksh replacements for Zsh-users?
> }
> } Tksh is an implementation of the Tcl C library written on top of the
> } library for the new KornShell (ksh93).  Dtksh is something like Tksh,
> } but it is for making of CDE-apps.
> }
> } I just wonder: Is it possible to create something like that for zsh?
>
> Sure.  Just another module.
>
> I don't know about the CDE graphics library, but the easiest way for Tk
> would be to create a zsh module to link to the Tcl library as a builtin
> command, then simply attach the existing Tcl bindings for Tk to that.  I
> did exactly that years ago for Z-Mail, although the version with Tk was
> never released.  The zsh module would also have to install a couple of
> Tcl builtins to use for calling back to zsh functions, because the Tk
> event loop has to be allowed to take over control once the UI is ready
> to come up.

I've been playing with this ztk idea some time ago (never found the
time to try to hack it).

If someone things about trying it, he should first try to define a
zwait() function (probably with a better name) that is called
everywhere when the shell waits for signals or input (i.e. a wrapper
around select). And then allow modules to register file-descriptors
(and timeouts?) that have to be monitored (with callback functions or
something). That way we probably (hopefully) could respond to X-Events
asynchronously.

That would be nice to have anyway (and I've seen right, the ksh
sources have such a function).

To workers:

There might be some connection between this and the builtins-usable-
in-a-pipe we had some time ago.

Bye
 Sven