Re: [4.0.2 bug] commands not written to history

On Jun 29,  8:14pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
} Subject: Re: [4.0.2 bug] commands not written to history
}
} I can even tell you that the last time this problem occurs, the
} command after cmd1 was xinit, i.e. the first command I type after I
} log in.
}
} I probably had several opened shells. But here, I'm sure I typed both
} commands one after the other. And anyway, a xinit can't have been
} interleaved.

This being the case, you can check what happened to xinit by examining
the history file from a new shell as soon as you have X up and running.
With incappendhistory, `xinit' should already be the last command in
the file before `xinit' itself runs -- so assuming that your shells in
xterm (or whatever emulator) are using the same history file as your
console shell, typing <C-p> as soon as a new terminal opens should show
you `xinit', and <C-p> again should show you `cmd1'.  If history files
aren't the same, `tail' the one the console should have written.

An important thing to note is that with incappendhistory set, zsh will
not re-write the history file again at shell exit.  If you did anything
at all in a shell from within X, and then you immediately `exit' from the
console after the X server shuts down, the last commands in the history
will be those saved by the shells within X.

} BTW, I use NFS, but all the shells were on the same machine.

NFS could be a factor even if only one client machine is involved.