Re: loading dynamic modules in a static shell

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:39:01AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jan 18,  6:14am, Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Is it supposed to be possible to compile a static shell with part of
> > the modules built in and to be able to load the remaining modules with
> > zmodload?
>
> Yes; in fact the default is for zsh/main to be static-linked and all the
> other modules to be dynamic.
>
> > not been able to get it to work.  I don't know if there is another way
> > I am supposed to do it but If I tried setting some with link=dynamic
> > and some with link=static in config.modules it would not work.
>
> That's the way you're supposed to do it.  However, I think you may be a
> little confused about the procedure:
>
> > It only compiled either static or dynamic based on how the ldflags
> > were set when it was configured with configure. I compiled zsh-4.0.9
> > configured with "configure --enable-ldflags=-static"
>
> That's the first mistake.  You want one of
>
> 	configure --enable-dynamic			(the default)
> or
> 	configure --disable-dynamic
>
> Do not specify the -static or -shared ldflags yourself directly; they are
> independent of whether individual modules are static-linked.
>
> For a mix of static and dynamic modules, you must start by configuring a
> dynamic shell, then edit config.modules to select the modules that you
> want linked static.

Hi Bart.  Thanks for the response.

The problem is, if I start by configuring a dynamic shell, then it is
dynamically linked with the system libraries.  ie.
    libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x2806b000)
    libm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libm.so.2 (0x280ab000)
    libc.so.5 => /usr/lib/libc.so.5 (0x280c8000)

I was trying to create a static shell for /bin on FreeBSD but I wanted
to still have part of the modules dynamically loaded to keep it from
being bloated.

> > installed it, then reconfigured it as shared, did a "make modules" and
> > installed the dynamic modules. However, when I try loading one of the
> > dynamic modules that are not statically linked in, such as zftp, it
> > just says "zsh: failed to load module: zsh/zftp".
>
> Did you ever actually edit config.modules to set "link=static" for zftp?
> If so, did you also set "auto=no" so that re-running configure would not
> clobber your changes?
>
> > I have searched the FAQ, mailing lists, and documentation, but have
> > not found any information that helps me.
>
> The INSTALL file should tell you just about everything you need to know.

Yes, I experimented with editing the config.modules file but, as you
mentioned, I could not get it to create any dynamic modules if I
configured the shell to be static.  The INSTALL file just mentions
dynamic vs. static modules.  It does not discuss creating a static
shell that is not dynamically linked with the system libraries.

Regards,
Vincent

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
http://www.InetAddresses.net