Re: incremental history search

* Eric Mangold (2004-02-21 04:07 +0100)
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:35:14 +0100, Thorsten Kampe
> <thorsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Eric Mangold (2004-02-21 02:17 +0100)

>>> Yes. I use the following bindings for that.
>>>
>>> bindkey '\M-p' history-beginning-search-backward
>>> bindkey '\M-n' history-beginning-search-forward
>>
>> Aah, seems like exactly what I want. Are there any functional
>> disadvantages compared to "up-line-or-search"/"down-line-or-search"
>> (because it seems to me as "history-beginning-search-backward" is a
>> superset of "up-line-or-search")?
>
> I can't think of any disadvantages, [...]

Hm, now the cursor stays at the beginning of the command line when I
haven't typed anything and press the up cursor - contrary to the
movement to the end of the command line with "up-line-or-search".
Probably because of the missing "up-line" functionality.

It's a bit of a nuisance because I more often change things at the end
of a command line than at the beginning but I think the extra
functionality of "history-beginning-search-backward" makes it a gain
for me though.

Thorsten