Maintaining the 'rehash' hash automatically [was Re: compctl_rehash for zshcompsys]

> Hi all,
>
> I had a really handy old macro for zsh v3 that automatically rehashed
> on a failed tab command completion, using the compctl completion
> system:

I was just thinking about the recent advances in filesystem notification
services provided by modern kernels, e.g. inotify on linux2.6

Wouldn't it be pretty cool, if on supported systems, zsh could have an
option to maintain the hash all by itself with low overhead?

Anyone interested in doing this? Would patches be accepted?

Thoughts? Ideas?

-Eric Mangold