Re: Reverse history searching in zsh

On Monday 18 April 2005 21:58, Tejasvi Aswathanarayana wrote:
> I have been hearing about ZSH for quite sometime now. I have been
> hesitant to move coz I am not sure if ZSH has this one "cool" feature
> of  bash, the reverse-search, which searches the history in reverse
> order and gets you the matches.... This is one heck of a feature that
> I wouldnt want to miss in my shell.
> (Ctrl-R to activate the reverse search)
>
> < /home/k00ld00d >
> (reverse-i-search)`cp': sudo cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.kusp
>

> Does anybody know if zsh has this feature...

yes it does. It is called history-incremental-search-backward in zsh and is
bound to ^R by default in emacs key bindings:

{pts/1}% bindkey -L | grep back
bindkey "^R" history-incremental-search-backward

(it is possible that bash and zsh inplementations are slightly different, I do
not use bash on regular basis).

-andrey