Re: Reverse history searching in zsh

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:58:16PM -0500, Tejasvi Aswathanarayana wrote:
> This is one heck of a feature that I wouldnt want to miss in my shell.
> (Ctrl-R to activate the reverse search)

The implementation in zsh is even better than that in bash.  For
instance, bash doesn't let you backspace over a mistyped character like
zsh does (in zsh backspace works like it does in emacs -- it backs up to
any previous matches that were visited via extra Ctrl-R presses, and
then removes search characters).  Older versions of bash had several
other deficiencies, but I just tried a fairly modern bash (for the first
time in a while), and they seem to have fixed some the problems I had
encountered in older versions.

Zsh also has several other search features, such as typing the name of
a command and pressing Escape-p (or Meta-p) will walk through the prior
history lines that contain that command.

..wayne..