zstyle & variables

Hi all.
I have the following completion set in my zsh environment setup file.

  zstyle ':completion:*' users $USERS

I also have a custom function to alter the contents of $USERS . After running this function to change the contents of $USERS, I need to execute the line above in the command line to make the change take effect. I would like my custom function to do this for me, but I am having trouble figuring it out. I tried adding, 'zstyle ':completion:*' users $USERS' to the bottom of my custom function, but that did not work for me.

I hope someone can help me out.