Re: history trouble

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Frank Terbeck wrote:

Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Thomas Richter wrote:

Greetings, Thomas,
  Can you verify something:
  Start a shell, enter a few commands, exit the shell, then look at the
history file and see if your commands were added to it?  If so, then
it's not a matter of your commands not being written to history, but that
they are being buffered and, upon exit, flushed to file.

Try this:
  setopt inc_append_history

From Thomas' original posting:

I can write to the history with
 setopt inc_append_history
but I want the file read!

Yes, I did see that, however, I wanted to make sure that this option was
really set and that history was been appended to.  Because, if that is
the case, then the history file can certainly be accessed (and read
from).

I guess I don't quite understand the problem.  When you (Thomas) say you
can't read history do you mean you can't do any history functions?  Like,
with zle loaded, scroll through interactive history?  At all?

So, if you start a fresh shell session (with zsh -l -i), you can't
retrieve any previous commands?  If you enter a few commands, can you
retrieve them or not?   Can you 'echo $history'?

I must say that HISTSIZE (and SAVEHIST) are ridiculously large (99999 and
9999).  Setting these to something smaller might be worth a try.

Do you have anything special in any of the /etc/z* files?

Lastly, what if you start zsh from a dos prompt instead of from a bash
shell?

Regards, Frank

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <Peter.Castro@xxxxxxxxxx>