Re: Terminal hang when bg/fg root shell on OS X

You might want to consider this workaround, which has the additional merit
of not requiring the root account to be activated (the default on OS X and
Ubuntu Linux, for security reasons):

Just type

sudo screen zsh

You then get a root shell, and can detach it with control-d, reattach it
when you need it, and so forth.

HTH.

Bill