How to get cursor navigation of completion menu working?

My understanding from reading the user's guide is that there is a way to cursor-navigate the listed completions. However, I can't figure out how to get this to work. For example, at the prompt, I get a long list of completions that I have to tab through in order to select the one that I want. The user's guide makes it seem like you can navigate using the cursor keys to get the right completion.

I missing something? I am running version 4.2 6 on cygwin.

Thanks in advance.