Re: Organising photos into a list (O/T)

zzapper <david@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I needed to organise about 60 images into a numerical list. I started by
> grouping them with a prefix 0001, 0002, 0003 and then using an extra
> digit to order within the group. I ended up using Windows Explorer and it
> was an unsatisfactory iterative process. Is this one of those cases where
> the power of zsh or unix is of no use?

Depends what criteria you mean by `organize ... into a numerical list'.

It's a piece of cake to use $SHELL to iterate something like exiftool
across files and extract one or two fields; you can even build SQL
statements and insert the filenames and exif fields into a database table
in bulk. Add on a `tags' field and annotate the blighters to heart's
content. Add on further fields for crop offset co-ordinates and you can
probably automate that with imagemagick and shell arithmetic functions too.

Of course, you could use nautilus or konqueror to view thumbnails, just to
stay on *nix.

<pose>
  It was with some combination of the above (and, admittedly, a couple of
  ruby scripts) that I generated
  <http://pig.sty.nu/wittering/?entry=2007-03-06T23:03:21+00:00>, from
  62 source images.
</pose>